Lokalatih ini merupakan tahap pendahuluan dari program Pengurangan Risiko Bencana berbasis Masyarakat melalui Radio Komunitas. Program ini dilaksanakan sebagai hasil kerjasama antara AMARC Japan Working Group – Disaster Reduction Learning Center JICA Hyogo – Combine Resource Institution – Radio Komunitas Angkringan FM Bantul – Radio Komunitas Lintas Merapi FM Klaten
COMBINE Resource Institution (CRI) works together with AMARC Japan will conduct a pilot project to promote the community awareness in reducing disaster risks through community radio. This program will take a year using following strategies;
- Community Pra Workshop – This pra workshop will take two days. Theme of the pra workshop is mapping potency of community vulnerable. The goal of this praworkshop are: Explore the history of village; mapping the village; simulation survey, report of survey result, and sosialization and utilize data.
- Community Workshop – This workshop will discuss the result of mapping potency of community vulnerable. With the participation of community representatives and the activists of community radios, this workshop will give feedback toward the audio materials with the theme focused on disasters produced by AMARC.
- The adjustment of audio materials by AMARC with local context – The feedback from the workshop participants on the audio materials with the theme focused on disasters produced by AMARC will next become the considerations to modify the materials in order to match the community needs.
- The implementation of Disaster Alert Community Radio Program – The outcome of the workshop will be broadcasting materials for the community radios to promote the community awareness of disaster alert. The broadcasting materials will be playing the audio materials which are well-furnished and other forms of important programs.
- The measurement of the broadcast on the impacts of disaster alert – During the implementation of the program, CRI and local community radios will measure the impacts of the broadcasting conducted by community radios to promote the community awareness of the disaster risks reduction. The method of the measurement is diary method, interview, and Focus Group Discussion (FGD).
- Build the community understanding on the potentials of disaster threats in their areas.
- Build the community understanding on the disaster relief by local community.
- Build the capacity of the community radio activists as the information agents on disaster relief for their own community.
- Capable to evaluate and give inputs to the audio materials on disaster relief produced by AMARC, either the contents or the wrapping techniques and the delivery.
- Capable to make and develop by themselves the audio materials on disaster relief to broadcast in local community areas.
- Community Radio Name: Angkringan Community Radio
Location: Timbulharejo village, sub district Sewon, Bantul, D.I. Yogyakarta
Disaster Susceptibility: Earthquake
- Community Radio Name: Lintas Merapi Community Radio
Location: Sidorejo Village, Regency of Klaten, Central Java
Disaster Susceptibility: Volcano eruption, landslide
- The audio materials on disaster relief produced by AMARC are already distributed and aired to the local community at least in the period of time one week before the try out.
- Each radio has experiences in doing disaster-related workshop.
Workshop participant (maximum 20 participants per location):
- Community Radio activists
- Community representatives based on some categories (activities, gender, age)
a.Public (can be grouped based on the professions)
i.Women (especially expecting mothers)
3. Local government (county/village/district)
Day I – Getting to know the potentials of Disaster Threats and the capacity of the community
- Community radio activists
- The representatives of local communities
- Local government
Mapping the potentials of disaster threats
- Mapping the potentials of natural disaster threats
- Mapping the potentials of non-natural disaster threats
- Mapping the potentials of social disaster threats
Focus Group Discussion (FGD). The participants are divided into three groups. Each group is required to make a map of the area on a plain paper for their own group. Each group will then have one issue to deal with. By using the map already drawn, each element of the issue is written on a metacard to attach on the map to present later in front of the plenary session.
Mapping the potential resources of the community:
- Natural resources
- Information and communication systems
- Transportation system
- Energy resources
- Human resources
Focus Group Discussion (FGD). The participants are divided into three groups, each of which will have two issues to discuss. The discussion will still be assisted by the area map. The elements of the issues discussed are then written on the metacards to attach on the map to present later.
Analysis on the vulnerability toward disaster
- Analysis on the vulnerability of the community radio
- Analysis on the vulnerability of the community
Focus Group Discussion (FGD). The participants are divided into two new groups, each of which will have one issue to discuss. The definition and criteria of the vulnerability are presented first by the facilitator. Next, each group will discuss the variables of the vulnerability mentioned and write them on the metacards to present later in front of the plenary session.
Evaluation on the audio materials focusing on disaster produced by AMARC Japan .
The participants are still grouped in two groups as earlier in which each group will listen to the audio materials focusing on disaster produced by AMARC Japan one more time. The evaluation will then be conducted by giving response to the list of guiding questions asked by the facilitator to the participants. The list of the participants’ responses will be mapped on the metacards and discussed in groups and plenary session to formulate the recommendation for the development of audio materials.
Day II – The activity management of the Community Radio which is highly aware of threats
Participant: Community Radio activists
On-air activity management
- Production of the audio materials focusing on disaster relief
- Broadcasting management on audio materials focusing on disaster relief
Through FGD, the community radio activists will get the presentation of evaluation results and inputs for the audio materials produced by AMARC Japan. This result is expected to be responded in the form of broadcasting programs by the community radio activists who will next produce community version of the broadcasting programs.
Off-air activity management
- Planning on the field activities to support the broadcast of the audio materials focusing on disaster relief
- On field activity management
In the second session, the discussion will be more about the off-air promotion strategies that can be done by the community radio activists. Through FGD, it is expected to arouse the ideas from the activists to integrate the audio power (on–air and off-air).